Our paper titled ‘Weighting of NMME temperature and precipitation forecasts across Europe‘ has just been accepted in Journal of Hydrology
It is open-access here until Sept 12th!
Slater, L.J., Villarini, G., Bradley, A.A. (2017) Weighting of NMME temperature and precipitation forecasts across Europe, Journal of Hydrology,
Our paper on dynamical statistical forecasting of seasonal streamflow has just been published in Climate Dynamics!
See the paper here and the associated EGU poster here.
Slater, L.J., Villarini, G., Bradley, A., Vecchi G. (in press) A dynamical statistical framework for seasonal streamflow forecasting in an agricultural watershed, Climate Dynamics. doi:10.1007/s00382-017-3794-7
See here for an updated list of seminars (Hull, Maynooth, New Orleans, Durham..)
- On Monday 22nd May we are hosting a Water Research Day at Loughborough University, as part of the Water@Lboro initiative.
- On Wednesday 21st June I will be visiting the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) to talk about global statistical forecasting
- On Thursday 16th November I will be visiting Oxford to give a talk on Fluvial geomorphology and flood risk management for Oxford Water Network‘s Michaelmas term seminar series
I am a Lecturer at Loughborough University and my research focuses on understanding and predicting changes in floods and fluvial systems in the context of contemporary shifts in climate, agricultural practices and urbanisation. My approach is statistical and computational; I use a combination of climatic and land cover information to disentangle the different drivers of flooding and fluvial change across a variety of climates and land use types. Using ensemble global climate model outputs I also develop probabilistic streamflow forecasts over a range of timescales to assess how floods and fluvial systems may change over time. I have a keen interest in data science and in developing new, interdisciplinary methods for understanding and projecting fluvial and hydro-climatic change.
On this website you will find a series of pages with News on my current research (below), Publications, Outreach and Media activities, Conference talks, and a short CV.
Delighted to have joined the team of topical editors for the open-access Journal Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS; Impact factor 4.4)!
Published in Earth Surface Dynamics:
Clubb et al. Geomorphometric delineation of floodplains and terraces from objectively defined topographic thresholds
I’m delighted to have obtained funding from the British Hydrological Society to give two talks at the European Geosciences Union in Vienna in April:
- Slater, L.J.. An early career researcher’s perspective on presenting flood risk research to the media (solicited). PICO on Wednesday, 26 Apr 2017 at 13:46 in this session (HS1.10 How my water research made the news, by invitation only).
- Slater, L.J. and Villarini, G. Statistical-dynamical long-range seasonal forecasting of streamflow with the North-American Multi Model Ensemble (NMME). Oral on Friday, 28 Apr 2017 at 11:30 in this session (HS4.6/CL3.02;From sub-seasonal forecasting to climate projections: predicting hydrologic extremes and servicing water managers).