river science, floods, hydro-climatology, climate, data science, big data, fluvial geomorphology, statistics.
- 2018-: Associate Professor in Physical Geography, School of Geography and the Environment, University of Oxford, UK
- 2018-: Fellow and Tutor, Hertford College, University of Oxford, UK
- 2017-18: Lecturer in Physical Geography, Loughborough University, UK
- 2015-16: Research Scholar, IIHR-Hydroscience & Engineering, University of Iowa, USA
- 2014-15: Lecturer in Physical Geography, Queen Mary University of London, UK
- 2009-10: EU Environmental Policy, BIO Intelligence Service, Paris, France
- 2017-: Editor, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS)
- 2017-: Outreach and Education Secretary, British Society for Geomorphology (Executive Committee member)
- 2014-16: Appointed member, Environment Agency Data Advisory Group, UK
- As reviewer: 35 reviews for 16 different journals and 3 research councils (see Publons profile)
ROLES and FELLOWSHIPS
- 2019-: Chair, Oxford Water Network
- 2019-: Equality & Diversity Committee member (for Silver Athena SWAN application), School of Geography and the Environment, U. Oxford
- 2018-: Visiting Fellow in River Science, School of Social Sciences, Loughborough University, UK
- 2017-18: Co-lead for Loughborough University’s Changing Environments and Infrastructure Research Excellence Challenge (Resilience of infrastructure to environmental change & Natural hazards)
- For details, see here
- 2017: NERC/ESRC (CI). ‘Financial planning for natural disasters: flood risk in Central Java’, £328k FEC (NE/R014361/1)
- 2017: SSPGS Seedcorn, Loughborough University (UK), ‘On the predictability of hydrological extremes using satellite data’, £2k
- 2017: Institute for Advanced Studies, Loughborough University Open Programme (UK), £2.5k
- 2017: British Hydrological Society Travel grant, £0.5k
- 2015: Early Career Researcher Grant, British Society for Geomorphology (UK), ‘To what extent have changes in river channel capacity contributed to flood hazard trends in England and Wales?’ £2.5k
- 2015: The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) Small Grant, £512
2011: National Center for Airborne Laser Mapping (NCALM),National Science Foundation (USA),’Where do floodplains begin in fluvial networks?’ $50k in-kind
- 2018: Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2015: Ph.D. in Earth and Environmental sciences (NERC-funded)
Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of St Andrews, UK. (Completed in summer 2014)
- 2018: PGCAP. 2-year Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice – Y1 at Queen Mary University of London, Y2 at Loughborough University, UK.
- 2009: Agrégation training at the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, France
- 2007: Masters (M1) at the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, France
- 2006: Admitted to Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon (ENS-LSH), full Postgraduate studentship, ‘Normalienne’
- 2003-06: Intensive 3-year preparatory school training, Henri IV, Paris, France
- Journals: Geophysical Research Letters; Water; Water Resources Research; Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres; Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences; Scientific Reports; Geomorphology; Hydrology Research; Hydrology and Earth System Sciences; Monthly Weather Review; Nature Communications; Science; Geology (see Publons).
- Research Councils: NERC, EPSRC, NSF
PUBLICATIONS and TALKS
ORGANISING and CONVENING CONFERENCES
- 2018-04: Using R in Hydrology, 2 hour workshop
- 2018-01: Seasonal Forecasting, 2 day national meeting, Loughborough University
- 2017-09: The evolution of flooding and flood risk conference, Geological Society, London
- Programming: proficient in R.
- Data science, big data, machine learning: predictive modelling.
- High performance computing: cluster computing.
- Statistics: varied; time series analyses (detection, attribution, forecasting).
- Spatial analysis: programmatic GIS.
- Data visualisation: digital illustration/visualisation, app design.
- Remote sensing: satellite imagery and aerial photography.
- Numerical landscape modelling: digital elevation models, LiDAR.
- Environmental data collection
- Terrestrial LiDAR and photographic structure from motion (Sfm)
- Drone imagery (UAV)
- GNSS (GPS) systems; ground truthing
- Laser measurements
- Hydrology; telemetry
- River channel and basin surveys
- Geomorphological mapping and survey; qualitative analysis
- Languages: Bilingual in English and French, good working knowledge of German, basic understanding of Spanish and dialectal Arabic.
- Professional memberships: American Geophysical Union, European Geosciences Union, British Society for Geomorphology, British Hydrological Society