KEY TOPICS: river science, floods, hydro-climatology, climate, data science, big data, fluvial geomorphology, statistics.
- 2017-: Lecturer in Physical Geography, Loughborough University.
- 2015-16: Research Scholar, IIHR-Hydroscience & Engineering, University of Iowa.
- 2014-15: Lecturer in Physical Geography, Queen Mary University of London.
- 2009-10: Administrator, EU Policy, BIO Intelligence Service, Paris, France.
- 2017-20: Editor, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS)
- 2017-20: Outreach Secretary, British Society for Geomorphology (Executive Committee)
- 2014-16: Appointed member of the Environment Agency’s Data Advisory Group (EADAG), UK
- 2015: Ph.D. in Earth and Environmental sciences (NERC-funded)
Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of St Andrews, UK.
- 2015/2017: Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice at Queen Mary University of London and Loughborough University.
- 2007-09: Masters (M1) and Agrégation training (2 years) at the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, France.
- 2006: Admitted to ENS (Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon Postgraduate studentship, ‘Normalienne’) following an intensive 3-year preparatory school training at Lycée Henri IV, Paris, France.
PUBLICATIONS and TALKS
- See two new NERC-funded positions: A Big Data Approach to Forecasting Global Hydrological Extremes; and Assessing the impact of in-channel vegetation on flood risk
- 2017-: Tessa Driessen (ongoing)
- Statistics: varied; time series analyses (detection, attribution, forecasting), Bayesian multi-model weighting, Cox regression, modelling, etc.
- Programming: proficient in R; some Python; formerly a lot of SPSS.
- Data science & machine learning: predictive modelling (regression, classification, dynamically-updated models), evaluation metrics, etc.
- High performance computing (HPC): cluster computing, Linux, supercomputer simulations.
- Big data: data management, crawling/scraping, mining, cleaning, feature engineering, etc.
- Spatial analysis: proficient in Geographical information systems / cartography (R, ArcGIS) and coding spatial designs in R.
- Graphic design and data visualisation: Digital illustration (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop), multiple kinds of visualisation in R, including app design (e.g. Shiny).
- Remote sensing: Satellite imagery and aerial photography (e.g. eCognition).
- Numerical landscape modelling: Digital elevation models, LiDAR.
- Environmental data collection;
- Terrestrial LiDAR and photographic structure from motion (Sfm);
- Drone imagery (UAV);
- GNSS (GPS) systems; ground truthing;
- Laser measurements;
- Hydrology; telemetry; inclinometry
- River channel and basin surveys;
- Geomorphological mapping and survey; qualitative analysis;
- Languages: Bilingual in English and French, good working knowledge of German, basic understanding of Spanish and dialectal Arabic.
- Please do not hesitate to contact me for a complete resume with additional information on teaching, training, admin, project management, grants and awards.