KEY TOPICS: river science, floods, hydro-climatology, climate, data science, big data, fluvial geomorphology, statistics.
- 2017-: Lecturer in Physical Geography, Loughborough University, UK.
- 2015-16: Research Scholar, IIHR-Hydroscience & Engineering, University of Iowa, USA.
- 2014-15: Lecturer in Physical Geography, Queen Mary University of London, UK.
- 2009-10: Administrator, EU Environmental Policy, BIO Intelligence Service, Paris, France.
- 2017-20: Editor, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS)
- 2017-20: Outreach Secretary, British Society for Geomorphology (Executive Committee)
- 2014-16: Appointed member of the Environment Agency’s Data Advisory Group (EADAG), UK
- 2018: See two new NERC-funded positions: A Big Data Approach to Forecasting Global Hydrological Extremes; and Assessing the impact of in-channel vegetation on flood risk
- 2017-: Tessa Driessen (ongoing)
- 2017: NERC (CI). ‘Financial planning for natural disasters: flood risk in Central Java’, £328k FEC
- 2017: SSPGS Seedcorn, Loughborough University (UK), ‘On the predictability of hydrological extremes using satellite data’, £2k
- 2017: Institute for Advanced Studies, Loughborough University Open Programme (UK), £2.5k
- 2017: British Hydrological Society Travel grant, £0.5k
- 2015: Early Career Researcher Grant, British Society for Geomorphology (UK), ‘To what extent have changes in river channel capacity contributed to flood hazard trends in England and Wales?’ £2.5k
- 2015: The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) Small Grant, £512
2011: National Center for Airborne Laser Mapping (NCALM),National Science Foundation (USA),’Where do floodplains begin in fluvial networks?’ $50k in-kind.
- 2015: Ph.D. in Earth and Environmental sciences (NERC-funded)
Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of St Andrews, UK. (Completed in summer 2014).
- 2015/2017: Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice at Queen Mary University of London and Loughborough University, UK.
- 2008-09: Agrégation training at the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, France.
- 2007: Masters (M1) at the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, France.
- 2006: Admitted to Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon (ENS-LSH), full Postgraduate studentship, ‘Normalienne’.
- 2003-06: Intensive 3-year preparatory school training, Henri IV, Paris, France.
PUBLICATIONS and TALKS
ORGANISING and CONVENING CONFERENCES
- 2018-04: Using R in Hydrology, 2 hour workshop,
- 2018-01: Seasonal Forecasting, 2 day national meeting, Loughborough University.
- 2017-09: The evolution of flooding and flood risk conference, Geological Society, London.
- Statistics: varied; time series analyses (detection, attribution, forecasting), Bayesian multi-model weighting, Cox regression, modelling, etc.
- Programming: proficient in R; some Python; formerly a lot of SPSS.
- Data science & machine learning: predictive modelling (regression, classification, dynamically-updated models), evaluation metrics, etc.
- High performance computing (HPC): cluster computing, Linux, supercomputer simulations.
- Big data: data management, crawling/scraping, mining, cleaning, feature engineering, etc.
- Spatial analysis: proficient in Geographical information systems / cartography (R, ArcGIS) and coding spatial designs in R.
- Graphic design and data visualisation: Digital illustration (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop), multiple kinds of visualisation in R, including app design (e.g. Shiny).
- Remote sensing: Satellite imagery and aerial photography (e.g. eCognition).
- Numerical landscape modelling: Digital elevation models, LiDAR.
- Environmental data collection;
- Terrestrial LiDAR and photographic structure from motion (Sfm);
- Drone imagery (UAV);
- GNSS (GPS) systems; ground truthing;
- Laser measurements;
- Hydrology; telemetry; inclinometry
- River channel and basin surveys;
- Geomorphological mapping and survey; qualitative analysis;
- Languages: Bilingual in English and French, good working knowledge of German, basic understanding of Spanish and dialectal Arabic.
- Please do not hesitate to contact me for a complete resume with additional information on teaching, training, admin, project management, grants and awards. <l.slater(@)lboro.ac.uk>