Prior to working as a lecturer in Physical geography at Loughborough University, I specialised in fluvial geomorphology at the Ecole Normale Supérieure in France and received my PhD in Earth and Environmental Sciences from the University of St Andrews in 2014. I lectured in Physical Geography at Queen Mary University of London for one year before conducting an 18-month postdoctoral scholarship in the field of hydro-climatology and data science at the IIHR-Hydroscience and Engineering, University of Iowa.
- 2017: Lecturer in Physical Geography, Loughborough University. River science, floods, fluvial geomorphology, hydrology, climate change, data science, big data.
- 2015-16: Postdoctoral Research Scholar, IIHR-Hydroscience & Engineering, University of Iowa. Flood hydrology, seasonal forecasting and hydroclimatology.
- 2014-15: Lecturer in Physical Geography, Queen Mary University of London. Fluvial geomorphology, hydrology, field methods, research strategies, data analysis, statistics.
- 2009-10: Administrator of the EU Policy department, BIO Intelligence Service (environmental consultancy)– Paris 75014, France.
- 2017-20: Topical editor for the open-access journal Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS)
- 2014-16: Appointed member of the Environment Agency’s Data Advisory Group (EADAG), UK
- 2015: Ph.D. in Earth and Environmental sciences (NERC-funded)
Thesis: Trends in alluvial channel geometry and streamflow: an investigation of patterns and controls. Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of St Andrews, UK.
- 2015: Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP) at Queen Mary, University of London, UK.
- 2007-09: Masters and Agrégation training at the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, France. Geomorphology, GIS, remote sensing, statistics, hydrology, and a variety of other subjects (incl. human geography).
- 2006: Admitted to ENS (Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon Postgraduate studentship, ‘Normalienne’) following an intensive 3-year Classes préparatoires aux Grandes Ecoles (CPGE) training at Lycée Henri IV, Paris, France (also admitted to ENS-Cachan).
PUBLICATIONS and TALKS
- Statistics: varied- all types of time series analyses (detection, attribution, forecasting), Bayesian multi-model weighting, Cox regression, modelling, etc.
- Programming: proficient in R; some Python; formerly a lot of SPSS (have taught classes in both R and SPSS).
- Data science & machine learning: xgboost, random forests, classification, logistic regression, predictive modelling, dynamically-updated models, evaluation metrics, etc.
- High performance computing (HPC): cluster computing, Linux command-line syntax, supercomputer simulations.
- Big data: data management, crawling/scraping, mining, cleaning, feature engineering, etc.
- Spatial analysis: proficient in Geographical information systems / cartography (R, ArcGIS) and coding spatial designs in R.
- Graphic design and data visualisation: Digital illustration (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop), multiple kinds of visualisation in R, including app design (e.g. Shiny).
- Remote sensing: Satellite imagery and aerial photography (e.g. eCognition).
- Numerical landscape modelling: Digital elevation models, LiDAR.
- Environmental data collection;
- Terrestrial LiDAR and photographic structure from motion (Sfm);
- Drone imagery (UAV);
- GNSS (GPS) systems; ground truthing;
- Laser measurements;
- Hydrology; telemetry; inclinometry
- River channel and basin surveys;
- Geomorphological mapping and survey; qualitative analysis;
- Languages: Bilingual in English and French, good working knowledge of German, basic understanding of Spanish and dialectal Arabic.
- Please do not hesitate to contact me for a complete resume with additional information on teaching, training, admin, project management, grants and awards.